Nowadays, the legacy of Spider-Man lives on as a premiere attraction right in the center ofUniversal Orlando Resort’s Marvel Super Hero Island. I’ve been going to theme parks my whole life andnothinghits quite likeThe Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. Part of the opening lineup atUniversal’s Islands of Adventurein 1999, this classic dark ride with a 3-D/4- D twist HOLDS UP, believe me.
Honestly, if you’re a Marvel fan like me, all you really need to know is that you’ll actually encounter the beloved masked web slinger. Isn’t that enough to make you run to the marquee and queue up?! But fine, I’ll channel my inner journalist and give you the full scoop.
The good news is that you’re getting a peek inside the inner workings of a popular New York newsroom. The bad news is that you’re immediately put to work because the Sinister Syndicate has taken the Statue of Liberty hostage using an anti-gravity cannon in a bid to control the city. In the absence of more experienced reporters, Editor-in-Chief J. Jonah Jameson sends you out as a volunteer in a new high-tech news-gathering vehicle called a “Scoop” (speaking of scoops) to cover the night’s events. You might meet some pretty big villains along the way, but your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man is on your side.
You enter through the Daily Bugle offices for a tour, weaving through cubicles, break areas, display cases for the publication’s many awards, and even a dark room. Meanwhile, television screens relay the news about the ongoing crime. If things seem empty, it’s because all other reporters and photographers have fled due to the chaos. This story is all yours, so it’s time to grab your night vision goggles and head out!
This experience has it all — practical sets and effects, animated characters that seem to jump off the screen as they interact with your ride vehicle, and even a cameo or four.
Head into the back alleys of Manhattan where Spider-Man jumps on the hood of your Scoop to warn you about the dangers ahead. Regardless, you proceed into a warehouse where the villains are plotting. You don’t exactly go unnoticed and it’s a run for your life from there…
- Electro attempts to jolt you with a sparking wire.“You’re in for a shock!”
- Doctor Octopus threatens with fire.“Things are just starting to heat up!”
- Hobgoblin is armed with pumpkin bombs.“Time to blow you off the streets!”
- Hydro-Man messes with the plumbing.“You’re taking a dive!”
- Scream takes a swipe and eggs on her co-conspirators.“Blast them again!”
- Height requirement: 40” (102 cm)
- Children under 48” (122 cm) require a supervising companion
- Child Swap is available upon request
- Universal Express Pass is available
- This was thefirst-everride built that combines moving, motion-based vehicles, 3-D film, and live action.
- The ride building is over 2 acres in size. That’s 1.5 football fields!
- 25 different projectors are in use throughout the ride duration.
- Your Scoop vehicle is capable of rotating a complete 360 degrees in 2 seconds.
THE STORE:SPIDER-MAN SHOP
Once off the ride, be sure to take some time browsing all the Spidey merch. With toys, action figures, mugs, and apparel, there is something for every fan.
You can also take a look across the street atMarvel Alterniverse Storefor goodies related to all your favorite Heroes, or head toComic Book Shopif you want to take home some actual Marvel comics or graphic novels.
BONUS:MEET AND GREET
Superfans can seek out even more Heroes like Captain America, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm and Rogue, as well as Marvel Villains like Doctor Doom and the Green Goblin, who all have meet-and-greets nearby.
To quote our Hero, “Guess that wraps things up!”
To continue your journey around Marvel Super Hero Island, make sure you read up on all the other must-do attractions, treats, and souvenirs!
Can you guys re-activate the phone number that is featured on the movie theater marquee? What a fun little easter egg that was!